Sheila Ryan

I am a self taught abstract artist working with acrylic and oil mediums. Using varied utensils for ‘painting’, my works are all unique refusing to be labelled or boxed. I first picked up the paintbrush in 2001 whilst living in London yet only began painting more regularly after moving to the East Midlands in 2004. My art is in the abstract genre releasing my expression of our society. I believe that you feel art more than you see it.

The artists most influential to me are:
Picasso for how he understood human nature and pain.
Rothko for his depth of emotion transferred through colour and shade.
Van Gough displays the release painting gave whilst living with mental health issues and his struggles with coping with life.
William Morris for his holistic dedication to Art and the ethos that Art is for All.

Encouraged to enter my first Open Art Exhibition in 2005 at Mansfield Museum I gained more confidence and belief in my works. I entered and had my works shown at three more local exhibitions in 2007. Entering the RA Summer Exhibition in 2007 being selected but not hung was quite an experience. In 2008, it was exciting but disappointing. Yet never say never....there is always next year!

Sheilaryan1950@hotmail.co.uk

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very many congratulations Sheila, it's a wonderful piece of work!

Best of luck with the exhibition

Matt

Unknown said...

What an absolutely stunning piece of artwork. I really love the colours you have used.

You should be very proud of what you have achieved.

Lots of luck with the exhibition.

Nahla xx