Jane Marrows

I have created felted and stitched accessories for several years and I have in the last two years started to focus on stitched textile wall-pieces, which include mixed media of various sorts. These two pieces exhibited are hand-felted, using commercially and hand-dyed wool and silk fibres, together with surface hand and machine stitch, and embellishments.

Colour, pattern and texture inspire my work and for these two pieces, the first of a continuing series, I am using the theme of summer festivals and ‘al fresco’ living as starting points for design.

Whilst my university education is literature based – I am currently studying for an MA in English Literature – text often conjures up images, which are later developed in stitch. My textile qualifications take the form of successful completion of City and Guilds Textiles Part 1 and 2 with Distinction.

I regularly exhibit work and undertake free-lance textile teaching in the East Midlands. I co-ordinate Sneinton Artists, in Nottingham, and sell work through various craft outlets and events, including the Hub Centre for contemporary craft in Lincolnshire.

I am a member of the Derbyshire based exhibiting Textile group, ‘Living Threads’ and have exhibited and sold my work in exhibitions at Galleries and Venues in the East Midlands including ;-
Lustre, University of Nottingham
The Art Organisation, Nottingham
Trent and Erewash Museum, Ilkeston
The Rainbow Gallery, Eastwood
Holme Pierrepont Hall, Nottingham
‘Cover Versions’ View from the Top gallery, Nottingham
Green’s Windmill, Sneinton, Nottingham
Lady Bay Open Studios and Sneinton Artstrail
janemarrows@hotmail.com
janemarrowsdesigns.com

1 comment:

Niall young said...

Lovely vibrant use of colour and texture Jane...your work has stuck in my memory...