John Oscroft

I am a local self taught artist, based in Nottingham.

The idealised expression of the human figure is the focal point of my work. My acrylic-on-canvas paintings are stylistic images of modern women – women who are sophisticated and self-confident; keeping the viewer at arm’s length, while also engendering a desire to know more.

The style of my work is reminiscent of the art of Patrick Nagel and tends to reflect my interest in modern fashion. ‘Red Hat’ was originally inspired by the Ralph Lauren spring collection.

The inspiration for ‘Sunflower’ came from my numerous trips to Spain and my love of all flowers, particularly sunflowers.

‘Sunflower’ was mostly completed by applying a mixture of acrylic paint and structure gel, to the canvas, by palette knife. The exception being the seeds where I have piped the same paint mixture onto the canvas, in the same manner that one would decorate a cake. My objective was to produce a pleasing and tactile surface.

For further information, I can be contacted by e-mail at oscroftjohn@hotmail.com.

No comments: