Gerard Hilderly

As a relatively new artistic photographer, I would like to submit my most recent work depicting three characters from the livestock world who have been bred responsibly and conscientiously to maintain optimum health.

My objective was to visit some of the healthiest breeds in the country and portray more than the everyday image of modern British livestock.

I have always believed that you can see more of an animal than the breed alone and have long maintained a strong belief that each individual has a personality that can be witnessed by capturing the true moment when a creature’s charisma comes alive.
Character and expression can be seen to a greater extent in a healthy animal and in the three photographs I have used the early morning light to aid extracting the true temperament and disposition of the animals.

Four Legged spirit is designed to encapsulate spirit within the livestock and provoke the audience to observe the expression held at the point the shutter opened and challenge all that view to compare to the expression of the animal to that of a two legged human.

Although colour photography has been used, the collection is mainly monochrome, which enhances the shadows and diffuses the background, enabling the viewer to concentrate on the foreground and the characters themselves.

The photographs exhibited are the first that I have presented although I have been working as a photographer for over a year and have a wide range of subjects and assignments mainly depicting the characters and expressions of family members and loved ones.

My technique is predominantly self taught although I was encouraged by my Grandfather who was had a photographic business and trained the RAF in the art of aerial photography during the war.

Having always held a strong interest in Photography I predominantly find myself influenced and inspired by the work of Henri Cartier Bresson, a photographer who believed in the moment and that when a moment is captured, the photographer is truly creative.

No comments: