Becky Syson

I’m a self taught artist with a love of everything creative and inspirational. Being an aspiring singer-songwriter, I have most recently self-released my debut album ‘H.O.L.L.A.N.D’ and toured the UK, supporting the likes of Phil Campbell, Martha Tilston, and Amy Studt and recording a live acoustic feature for BBC Nottingham.
The title track ‘H.O.L.L.A.N.D’ is a song that I wrote about two years ago after a moment’s inspiration whilst visiting my grandparents' home. It was my grandmas' birthday at the time and in one of her cards, in my grandad’s spider like handwriting was written the word 'H.O.L.L.A.N.D'.

My grandma told me that this anagram stood for ‘Hope Our Love Lasts And Never Dies', and was a constant feature in his letters to her written throughout their lives together. She still keeps all those letters today, many of which were sent when my grandad was stationed far from home in Gatow, close to Berlin as an RAF Police Dog Handler. It's heart-warming to know that over 50 years later my grandad still writes 'H.O.L.L.A.N.D' in my grandmas' birthday cards. Their love has stood the test of time, and this led me to think how I would feel to be parted from the people I loved? What must it be like for so many other soldiers, in so many other conflicts, torn apart from their families and loved ones? What could possibly keep them all going when times get tough?

My song 'H.O.L.L.A.N.D' is not only dedicated to my grandparents; Maurice and Olive Syson, but also to my own true love and to everyone around the world who believes in love, hope and peace. My song is a calling for peace and a hope that one day we can live with ourselves, each other and the earth without conflicts that tear us apart.
The acrylic paintings that I produced for my album launch night are a reflection of my album artwork and represent a little insight into each individual song. My decision to use only black and white was done deliberately to highlight the inspiration behind my songs; light and dark, life and death, peace and war. It is then left to my songs to colour in the rest.

My other artworks are based around the ideas of human imagination and nature; their connections, mysteries and spirit. Here I use a combination of pencil, pastels and collage to create something unique and alive with texture and contrast. I work as I think; that every moment of life holds endless possibilities and inspirations. To capture that moment in a song or a piece of art is my driving force and once inspiration takes hold I’m lost in the flow of creativity.

No comments: