Gemma Fielding

My artworks are experiments in which my paintbrush takes many forms; my hands, newspaper, cardboard, the paint tube… Every different tool makes its own unique mark. I paint in layers, moving away from the piece at each stage, returning with fresh eyes, then adding new blocks of colour or scraping parts away. A painting can take from hours to days to complete and every piece is unique as I never have a set idea of how the canvas will turn out in the end. I may select certain colours that I’d like to work with but am very spontaneous with the application.

Inspiration can come from anywhere… nature, people, everyday objects, decay, graffiti, patterns, the skyline, buildings… I see beautiful images everywhere, which I hold in my mind and translate into an abstract work of art
I am influenced in particular by 1950’s Abstract Expressionism. Robert Rauschenberg and Jasper Johns are particular favourites for their experimental and innovative techniques.

Painting for me is an enjoyable and relaxing escape from reality. It’s free and organic and the results can never be determined. I easily get attached to my paintings as I know I’ll never do a piece like it again.

Email: gemmafielding81@hotmail.com

No comments: