Amanda Nield

History shows us that nature’s essence has been at the centre of civilisation from the dawn of time. It has helped us to shape the belief systems and mythology that we still live by today. Most of this goes un-noticed, primarily because it has been inter-woven into our sub consciousness. I use this as my starting point when I develop work. I work on a metaphysical level looking to mystery and symbolism which exists through our engagement with the world around us.

All in nature is a continuous cycle, forming, living, decaying and re-forming. It consist of light and dark...duality, neither one existing without the other. I am interested in drawing influences form these esoteric elements of living things.

I generally work with paint and collage which are always organic and figurative in form. I find myself working instinctively with layers that incorporate transparency and texture...this enables me to develop pieces that are shaped not only by an initial seed of an idea but by the patterns that form as I work. I like my works to reveal the energy within that is ever-changing, never destroyed but always evolving.

I studied at Liverpool for my degree in Performance design but soon changed direction creatively when I moved to London. I began working primarily in 2D form, my childhood interests of fantasy and myth colouring my work. My painting evolved further after I moved to Nottingham into the ethereal – art nouveau form that it is today. My love of Pre Raphaelite and Celtic art along with fantasy illustrators such as Alan Lee and Brian Froud started me on the path of my current style.

I have now been involved in a number of exhibitions in Nottingham including the Surface gallery in 2006, the View from the Top gallery in 2007 and the Nottingham Open Studios in October 2007.

amandasplanet@yahoo.com

No comments: