Carol Savage

I am disturbed by the violence, alienation and disconnection in modern society and how this is expressed through the environments we create around us. So I am drawn to the broken, aged and worn-out fragments that we leave behind, or views of the world that may be partial or incomplete.

For this series of prints I began with drawing from small elements in the landscape, concentrating on tone, texture and line and engaged with a range of media in this process, enjoying the physicality of drawing itself. I manipulated and layered these images to create a new whole, through a range of processes.

These images were then the focus of printmaking techniques. I have used linocut, collograph with chine colle, etching, one with monoprint overprinting, in this series of work. One piece incorporates machine stitching. I experimented with the etching process by applying, and resisting, the grounds in unusual ways. The final image is seen and constructed as a series of layers to produce a richly textured surface. The prints are all printed on BFK Rives paper.

I have been influenced by artists like Edvard Munch, Jane Stobart, George Cheung, and Eric Ravilious.

Casavage1@ aol.com

1 comment:

Niall young said...

Hi Carol..I loved your prints at the exhibition...despite my love of figurative art, your work has a life and presence of it's own.I wish you well.

Niall